Bridge L1010 Stirling Road over the East Branch
of Stony Brook
The bridge that was replaced was built in 1934. Stirling Road at this point is the east leg of the Watchung traffic circle. As the road is more than two lanes wide, it was possible to do the construction in two stages to maintain traffic on this busy roadway.
The existing bridge was a steel stringer span. The new one is a rigid frame precast concrete unit, essentially a box culvert without the bottom. This allows the stream to remain undisturbed. The frame is set on cast-in place concrete footings. Form liners were used in pouring the retaining walls, giving the appearance of stone construction. The walls were then stained to complete the appearance of stone.
Contractor: Caro Construction