Bridge C606 Studdiford Drive over the South Branch
of the Raritan River
The first crossing at this site dates back to Revolutionary times. In 1828, a covered bridge, the last to stand in Somerset County, was erected. (Click here for pictures of the bridge.) The covered bridge was replaced by a through girder bridge in 1929.
This project replaced the 1929 bridge with a two span steel truss. The design was chosen in keeping with the historical nature of the South Branch district. The roadway on the west side is in a flood plain, and was raised approximately 18" to reduce the number of times the road would have to be closed under flood conditions.
Designer: Dewberry - Goodkind
Contractor: Ferreira Const Co.